Chateaux de la Loire
The Moulin de Francueil is an ideal starting point to visit the Châteaux de la Loire. Among the most prestigious one :
- Chenonceaux : 3 km
- Montpoupon : 9 km
- Amboise : 15 km
- Chaumont : 25 km
- Loches : 25 km
- Cheverny : 30 km
- Blois : 35 km
- Villandry : 40 km
- Chambord : 50 km
- Valencay : 50 km
- Azay le Rideau : 60 km
- Langeais : 60 km
The river Cher
The river Cher is only two kilometres far from the Moulin de Francueil. A few suggestions :
- A tour on a boat from Montrichard to the archs of the château de Chenonceau
- A visit of Le Gué-Péan (a small charming castle) and a picnic in the park
- The mushroom cellars of les Roches, you visit with a miner's lamp
- The roman ruins of Thésée and its archeological museum
- The village of Véretz with its houses huddled between the river Cher and the hillside...
Touraine is not only the "garden of France", this captivating region with so many wonderful castles : it is also a great wine growing area, which was already famous in the VIth century. Poets or writers like Rabelais, Ronsard, Vigny, Balzac or Alexandre Dumas all have celebrated the charming wines of Touraine. Hillsides are covered with vineyards all around the Moulin de Francueil ; it will be easy for you to find a wine grower who will be proud and pleased to show you his cellars.
If you feel attracted by the best "grands crus" of Touraine, you can also go to Vouvray or to Moutlouis, famous for their great white wines. In Chinon, Bourgueil and St Nicolas de Bourgueil, you will taste mellow red wines. You can go farther to the west and discover the wines of Anjou and Saumur.
The region around the Moulin is full of opportunities for those who wish to have family activities. A few examples :
- The "Parc des mini-chateaux" (12 km far from the Moulin de Francueil) will show you models of the most beautiful monuments of the Loire valley
- The "Aquarium de Touraine" (10 km far from the Moulin), with more than 70 different species of freshwater fish
- The Beauval zoo (20 km far from the Moulin), often classified among the 10 most beautiful zoos in the world, a real paradise for animals on more than 12 hectares ...